Thursday, April 30, 2009

Hello, Gorgeous!



This gorgeous guy is a Black Headed Grosbeak, the Western variety of Grosbeaks. He and his missus have been partaking of the bounty at our feeders for the past several weeks, and gathering nesting materials from around our yards. She is very shy and I haven't been able to get a picture of her. She's a light tannish-gold and doesn't have the black head like her mate, but has dark brown stripes above and below her eye. I haven't seen her in the past two days, so I hope she's sitting on their eggs in a nest somewhere close by.


I guess he thought I was too close; I was sitting on my front porch and the tree that he was in is only about 20 feet from where I was. He flew up into a much higher tree and turned his back, but still kept a wary eye on me. So, I took the hint and went inside. I guess he hasn't made the connection that I'm the one who puts out the food. And...wait a minute...is he sneering at me?!

2 comments:

  1. What great pictures! I've never seen this bird -- we have the Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks -- also very beautiful.

    And yes, that does look like a sneer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Rose-Breasted Grosbeak on your blog, he is beautiful! He also seems to have better manners than the one at my feeder...no sneer on his face, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails