Thursday, April 22, 2010

January in April

It snowed all of yesterday and all through the night.  The snow started out as typical spring snow; heavy, wet, exactly like the kind we had on April 5th.  Then, around 10 p.m., the temperature dropped dramatically and we were getting the kind of snow we usually get in January.   Our low last night was 21 degrees F!  It didn't knock any of the blossoms off of my Rainer Cherry tree, and the apple trees haven't put out their blossoms yet, thank goodness.  It's not unusual to get snow in April.  Up until the mid-eighties it was a regular occurance.  But it is unusual for it to be so very cold!

This male Black Headed Grosbeak is standing on top of the snow that's left on one of the bird feeders and, to my eyes anyway, he looks a bit indignant.  The Grosbeaks usually don't show up until cold weather is over.  He was probably confused by the hot-cold-warm-hot-cool-hot-cold completely crazy weather we've been having lately.  I know I am! 

We have four Grosbeaks visiting our feeders, two males and two females, so I hope we'll be seeing lots of Grosbeak babies in several weeks, along with lots of the babies of all the other species of birds that visit our feeders.

3 comments:

  1. Hola Victoria, it`s so nice to meet you and your sooo wonderful place on earth, and I can feel you live so happy there watching birds and photographing them in such great images. I have loved to read your "about me" and know that you have such care for animals... and don`t worry, animals in Chile are treated pretty well.
    You left me a sweet and so needed comment in my blog and I`m trying to visit back all the kind and lovely people who was worried about my country during the 8.8 earthquake and tsunami, I thank you so much for your kindness.

    Muchos cariños from Chile,
    Maria Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the grosbeak! We don't have that sort here -- but I did have a Rose Breasted one in the window feeder in my workroom. He stuffed himself all afternoon while Eddie watched through the glass, angrily lashing his tail!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria Cecilia, thank you for stopping by. I'm so glad that you and your family and friends are all safe!

    Vicki, we don't have the Rose Breasted ones out here, but I wish we did. I can just see Eddie in a tizzy because he couldn't get out and insult the birds, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails