Friday, December 2, 2011

Faeries Friday - Celyn, The Queen of Christmas and Yule

This is Queen Celyn (Celyn is Welsh for 'holly) which seems fitting, since she is wearing a crown of holly. She wouldn't tell me her name for the longest time; she just said, "You may address me as 'Your Highness.' " Well, I thought this was a tiny bit rude but, of course, I didn't tell her that! You know how ... ummm ... sensitive faeries can be. After gracing our cottage with her presence every Christmas/Yule season for many years, I'm happy I finally know her name.

She usually hangs out around the wreath that hangs over the living room fireplace during the day pretending to be just an innocent figurine. During the night, she apparently likes to tease the cats by flitting around just out of their reach. Anyway, I'm guessing this is what is happening because the cats are much more active at night during the Christmas/Yule season. The whole herd thunders up and down the stairs, through the halls and, unfortunately for their mom and dad, across the bed.

Last year, I almost caught a glimpse of her when I was awakened by the cats leaping across the bed. I saw a twinkle of sparkling faerie dust disappearing around the corner of the hall where it meets up with the stairs, but that's as close as I've come to seeing her at night. I think Shadow, our big long-haired black cat, might have gotten a bit closer on that night because, the next morning, I noticed the imprint of a tiny candy cane on his forehead! I gave all the cats a stern lecture about respecting Faeries but, judging by the amount of night time activity around here this season, I don't think they listened to me. Or maybe they did; I haven't seen any indications that any of them have been whacked on the head by a tiny candy cane...

2 comments:

  1. Awww, she's absolutely lovely. Her little ears in particular are wonderful. I'm sure cats see things that we can't. It doesn't surprise me at all that the cats are having fun at night chasing this little beauty around the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful story and I love the Holly fairy, she is so very pretty. A Yule fairy with an attitude, I really like that ; )
    Have a magical day.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails