Monday, July 25, 2016

The Grandmother Tree

The Grandmother Tree is just my name for her...I don't know if anyone else calls her by that name.
I don't know what made her trunk so gnarled and twisty.
So fantastical... 
...and so beautiful.
Fertile ground for an imagination like mine.
When I look at her, I am reminded of Tolkien's Ents, a race of trees that could walk and talk.  I've never seen her walk, but I've heard her talk...on quiet summer afternoons, on bright autumn days, in rain storms and snow storms, on days filled with the hopefulness of spring.

I took these photos in 2007, with a little Olympus camera.  The Grandmother Tree is still there, and she still looks much the same. 

Linking with Through My Lens

                    Image-in-Ing

9 comments:

  1. I like your name for her - it seems to suit her well.

    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/07/bottoms-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the visit with the grandmother tree. The textures of the bark are very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria,
    Perfect name for her, as she is a perfect example for standing strong, even when old and gnarled. There is a quiet beauty there.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is most beautiful!

    I love trees - especially old trees. The more gnarled the better.
    There is so much wisdom.
    And, I too love to hear their whispers as the wind plays through their limbs.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. She looks like she's had a hard life but has conquered all her foes. What a lovely tree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! She must have been there for a while...

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's absolutely wonderful! Love that you shared hr...yes definitely right out of Tolkein!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails