Friday, August 4, 2017

Sky Watching

It's been mostly cloudy here lately, but with very little rain.  The clouds were hanging around to the east and west of Red Rock Wall (it's a turnout on Highway 18 constructed from red rock, making it easy for the locals in the 1930's to give it a nickname).  The photo above is looking east.
This one is looking west towards the San Gabriel mountains.  Wrightwood, which is in the San Gabriels, got so much rain yesterday there was flooding!  I wish that would have happened for my beloved San Bernardino mountain range, but I'm glad it happened for them.
This one is looking down at the San Bernardino valley through the brown smear of smog that is so prevalent down there this time of year.  In the autumn when the Santa Ana winds have scoured the air clean it is sometimes possible to see all the way to Catalina Island (about 126 miles from this turnout).
Zooming in a little on the San Gabriels and that beautiful blue sky.  Even with the high fire danger and overcrowding in the summer and on holidays,  I love living up here.

Linking with Skywatch Friday

3 comments:

  1. Hi Victoria,
    Beautiful photos! I really like the second one down.
    I hope you get some much needed rain soon. We had thunder and BIG drops, then quit for the past two days. Kept thinking it was really going to rain. Maybe soon.
    blessings,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the views from those turnouts, and the S CA mountains is the place to be in the hot summer!! I had heard they used prison labor back in the day to build those low rock walls. Not sure if that's true, but if so, they did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! I really like the second one down.


    ดูหนังผี

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails