Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dollar Lake

(Alpine Shooting Star, Dollar Lake, elevation 9,288 feet, San Bernardino Mountains, CA)

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul alike."  John Muir

Dollar Lake is one of my favorite places.  It's hard to get to even though it isn't that far from where I live...if I were a Raven and could fly there.  It's located in the San Gorgonio Wilderness (95,903 acres) nearly at the top of the North Face of Charlton Peak (elevation 10,806 feet) and is a 10 mile hike from the nearest trailhead.  During those 10 miles there is a vertical gain of about 4,000 feet, so it's a pretty steep trail, and the trail isn't much of a trail.  But once I get there...ahhh, complete solitude and an utter lack of human-made sounds, as long as I don't go up there in the summer months.  (At Dollar Lake's elevation summer occurs in July and August).  I usually go by myself and camp for at least three days and it really is a healing experience "to body and soul alike."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails