Thursday, March 26, 2009

Transformations

Spring is really gaining momentum here... finally! These little leaves on this Pink Sierra Currant bush are about half the size of my little fingernail now, but soon they will mature to the size of quarters. Then the bush will put out clusters of tiny, bell shaped pink flowers that the Hummingbirds adore. In Autumn there will be clusters of small, blue-grey, berries that the birds love. Humans can eat them also, but I'd rather leave them for the birds.

The transformations of spring are always amazing to me, no matter that I have seen many seasons of nature's alchemies. Bare branches magically make little buds that turn into beautiful green leaves, some with flowers among them that will eventually turn into edible fruits for animals and humans. Other plants birth themselves out of hard soil and then form beautiful flowers that will produce nectar for the bees to collect and turn into honey! It's all so wondrous to me, each and every time.

In Spring I am always reminded of this quote. This person must have felt the same feelings of awe and wonder that Spring produces in me:

"If seeds in the black earth can turn into such beautiful roses, what might not the heart of the human become in its long journey toward the stars?"

Gilbert Keith Chesterton

2 comments:

  1. A lovely thought -- similar to the, I think it's Hindu, comparison of the soul, like the lotus, emerging from the mud.

    These tiny new leaves are so precious and full of promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm crossing my fingers that we don't get hail which will shred these tiny new leaves...sometimes that happens.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails