Friday, November 15, 2013

An Autumn Ramble


Today was cold and windy...and wonderful!  I haven't been feeling too well lately, so it was really good to be able to get out and ramble around the woods.  Feeling the wind touch my face, hearing my boots crunching over fallen leaves, breathing in the scents of pine, cedar and dampish leaves was glorious.  I say 'dampish' because, although the air felt damp and misty, it hasn't rained.  It might tonight; fingers crossed.  There were little pockets of color here and there (surprising for this late in the year), but for the most part the trees have either parted with their leaves or the leaves are still there, but are that bleached out beige brown color.  It's always interesting to me to see how many little micro climates there are in a few acres.  I took a few more photos, but this one turned out the best.  I also, as I always do, put a few small rocks in my pockets.  They'll live in various places in my cottage for a while, then, on a walk yet to be taken, I'll take them back out into the forest.  My husband laughs at me every time I go on a walk, because I leave with my right pocket full of rocks to be returned to the forest, and I come back with my left pocket bulging with 'guest' rocks. 

Now, at 10:30 p.m., I'm sitting by the fire with a cup of tea.  The wind, quiet for a while, has gotten up again, and the chimes outside my window are singing with it.  This set of chimes only sings when the wind is coming from the north; their song, an icy tinkling, is well-suited to the North Wind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails