Saturday, November 16, 2013

November's Full Moon


It rained lightly all last night and part of this morning.  We had "tree rain" for the rest of the day.  I'm grateful for every drop! 

I went outside not expecting to be able to see the moon, but the clouds were moving pretty briskly, so I waited a bit and got lucky.  My Oglala Sioux ancestors called November's full moon "Last Leaves Falling Moon."  You can find dozens of websites purporting to know the names that the tribes of the First People called the moons, but I find that very few match exactly what my Sioux and Cherokee grandparents and parents told me.  I'd tell you the Cherokee name, but I can't remember it right now.  Darn memory.

4 comments:

  1. So glad for your rain -- we had one too. As always I'm happy to have all those dry leaves soaked. We had one scary forest fire here about thirty years ago and that will do me for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vicki. Our last scary forest fire here was in 2007 and the one before that was in 2003. Both times over a hundred thousand people had to evacuate their homes, us included. It's not the leaves that are a danger here, since we have so few hardwood trees, but the chaparral brush, the two hundred foot tall soft wood pines trees, Santa Ana winds and what seems like an ever-continuing drought. I'm hoping we have a drought busting rainy season! And I hope you never have another forest fire where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Victoria - I am glad you received some rain - pray you will get more. Seems like there is so much climate change going on and what we used to know as our weather has changed considerably. Love your moon in the sky. I hope there will be an end to your drought soon. Take care and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Debbie. I agree, the weather patterns aren't anything like they were. They've changed so drastically they're not even the way they were ten years ago!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails