Monday, July 25, 2011

Duck's Ditty


(The picture will enlarge if you left click on it).

"All along the backwater, through the rushes tall,
Ducks are a-dabbling, up tails all! . . .
Everyone for what he likes! We like to be
Heads down, tails up, dabbling free!"

Excerpted from Kenneth Grahame's "The Wind in the Willows," which is one of my all time favorite books. Mole, Ratty, Badger, and Toad are all such wonderful characters. I never tire of reading this book, but I've never been able to find a complete, unabridged version. Well, one that was within my budget.

Imagine my excitement when I found a complete, unabridged version that includes the original, rare first draft in the form of 15 letters written to Mr. Grahame's son, and illustrations...for only $1.99! There is a slight downside, however; it is on Kindle.

But, hey, at least I have it!

4 comments:

  1. Wind in the Willows is one of my all-time favorites, especially with the Rackham illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, the abridged hardcover version I have has the Arthur Rackham illustrations, but the Kindle one is illustrated by someone else; I forget who did them.

    However, in April of 2012 Amazon is releasing a complete, unabridged version with the illustrations by Arthur Rackham. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect shot of the duck. I too love the Wind in The Willows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a feeling you would, OC. Thank you for the compliment on the photo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails