Monday, September 28, 2009

The Necessity of Hope, Tenacity and Imagination

Tuesday, September 29, '09, 12:56 a.m. (Click on the picture to enlarge it).

Hope is such a tenuous thing, as delicate and thin as the clouds that barely veil the stars in the sky in the above photo. Nothing has ever been accomplished by just hoping. Yet who could live without hope?


I think hope is what gives us the courage to go on trying when the odds seem stacked insurmountably against us. Hope that things will get better, hope that things won't get any worse, hope that we will somehow, some way, imagine a way to make what we are hoping for a reality.


Several times in my life, hope has left me, to be replaced with a despair so profound, so bottomless, I don't know how my heart kept beating. I stumbled my way through these times because I have been blessed with tenacity. Slowly, like the light of a distant star that that dims, then brightens, then dims again, always shining a little brighter each time, hope eventually came back to me, and I could imagine ways to make things better.


Hope, tenacity and imagination. They are, I believe, the most important gifts of the Great Creator for this sometimes incredibly joyous, sometimes excruciatingly hard, journey through life.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails