Saturday, September 1, 2012

So Long, August, Welcome September!


"No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace, as I have seen in one autumnal face."  from Elegy IX by John Donne 

Of course, it's not officially Autumn yet; I believe the first official day is the Autumn Equinox.  But, it is starting to feel like Autumn.  I suppose we'll have to suffer through a couple more heat waves here in the Southern California mountains.  I can remember going back to school (back then school started the first week after Labor Day) and desperately wanting to wear my new school clothes.  Beautiful plaid skirts in so many colors, gorgeous matching sweaters, luscious new boots...all called out their siren songs from my closet.  I would usually succumb on the first day of school, as would many of my friends.  But, after spending that one day wondering if we had somehow descended into the lower regions of Hades, we would quickly, albeit sadly, dress in our old, cooler clothing until the temperature became more accommodating. 

This time of year always brings such nostalgia with it.  I always, in September, feel the need to buy reams of new paper, boxes of new pencils, new notebooks; none of which I need, but still... 

September also brings a longing for faces not seen in many years, for the music our laughter made.  Sometimes, on a September evening when the wind is right, I can hear the faint echoes of that carefree laughter drifting by on the breeze. 

Ah, September...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails