Monday, April 13, 2015

The Joys of Motherhood


Late yesterday afternoon I spotted a mama Scrub Jay and her baby in an ancient, nearly dead apple tree.  This is what I'm sure (imagined) I heard them say to each other:

"Hungry, mama.  Gettin' real hungry..."
"Well, I'll zip down here and see what there is for you to eat.  Be patient, honey."
"There...I think..."
"Mama, my tummy's growling!"
"Just a second, honey.  I see a nice, fat... 

At this point the mother hopped off the log and caught a large, beautiful bug of some sort and fed it to her hungry baby.  I'm sorry I didn't take a picture, I just couldn't bear to watch the baby eat the poor bug.  But, the poor mother.  Was the baby grateful?  This is what the baby said after eating the bug:
 "Well, it took you long enough!  Is that all there is?  I'm hungry..."

Poor Mama.  I'm certain I heard her sigh loudly as she flew to search for more bugs...

1 comment:

  1. You know Victoria, I think you read their thoughts! Haaaa.. What a beautiful bird. Great post, I really enjoyed.
    Thank you so much for visiting and your kind words.
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails