Thursday, August 6, 2015

Papilio

This butterfly, a pale swallowtail (Papilio eurymedon), is common in these mountains.  They look like the also-common western swallowtail except they're white and black instead of yellow and black.  You can't really tell from this photo, but this one is about as big as they get - 4 to 5 inches across.

Birds tend to leave them alone; their markings tell the birds that they have a terrible taste.

They're such a beautiful gift from nature, I can't help oohing and aahing every time I see one, and it's even better when they stay still long enough for me to get a photo!

1 comment:

  1. How lovely! I've never seen a butterfly as big as this! Nor, as beautiful.
    More magic from Magic Mountain xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails