Monday, April 13, 2009

First Violets of Spring


I was beginning to wonder if my violets would come back this Spring. Usually they're up long before now; sometimes they've even bloomed as early as February (well, only once, but still...). I have violets all over my garden, front yard and back, and they are precious to me. Why? When I moved into this cottage in the early 1970's, I dug up some violets from my mother's garden. They bloomed, spread and thrived in the following years.
Mama passed in 1994. She could be likened to violets; beautiful but tenacious, delicate-looking but with an inner core of pure steel, able to not only withstand harsh, devastating storms but go on to become even stronger after the storms retreated. The words have not been invented to convey how much I miss her. But she comes back to me...every Spring when her violets bloom.

2 comments:

  1. A lovely thought.

    I have Rose of Sharon bushes from my grandmother's yard in Florida. And those came from others brought from her sister's yard in Alabama.

    Also I have Confederate violets (white splotched with purple) in great sheets on on garden slopes, all descended from a few plants given me by a dear friend (now gone) when we moved here.

    I can't think of a better way to remember a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think of a better way, either. Having a picture of someone is nice, but when one touches the plants that the hands of a loved one have touched it just brings them so much closer.

    Those Confederate violets sound beautiful, I bet they're a sight to behold when the whole hillside is in bloom!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails