Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Spring Walk, Part Two

The photo above is of a California Quail, the official state bird. This one is a male. I catch glimpses of them quite often. However, they are extremely shy, which is why it's so difficult to get a good picture of one. This one isn't a good one either, but it's the first one I've gotten of the crest being held aloft.


I'm not sure what type of butterfly this is, but she stayed still just long enough for me to snap a picture and then, no doubt having important business elsewhere, away she went!

This lizard looks like he is bedecked with iridescent jewels, and very graciously agreed to pose for a photo.

This current Mrs. Coyote (she has had many ancestors during the years I have lived here) is about 7 years old. She has a den further up the hillside behind me.  I saw her coming down, so I moved a good distance away (thank goodness I have a fantastic zoom lens!) so she would feel comfortable passing by on her way to the creek. I also don't want her to become used to being in close contact with humans. That would get her killed.  In years past I've caught glimpses of her with her pups. I don't leave food out for the Coyotes normally, but when we've had a very hard winter I have occasionally left several pounds of raw steaks near their den. I figure maybe by doing that I'm saving the life of some of the feral cats that I feed.

4 comments:

  1. That quail is so gorgeous! And I'm glad you help the coyote out now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I really have to struggle with myself to not help them out more. I have to keep reminding myself that feeding healthy coyotes regularly would not be a good thing for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to hear that you help the coyotes out when they are going through hard times. Like you, I'd be tempted to put food out on a regular basis but I know that would not be the best thing to do. I love the lizard. I really like all reptiles and the quail is a handsome creature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like all reptiles, too, OC. Well, except for pit vipers. I always hope I can avoid encounters with rattlesnakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails