Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Winter Visitor


It was so windy here today, I don't know how this poor duck kept his equilibrium.  He's a Redhead Duck (Aythya americana), and they're winter visitors here. (Left click on the photo to see him better).  I tried to get a photo of a female, but they kept diving underwater.  There are ducks underwater all around him; I think that and the horrible Santa Ana winds worked together to make a very interesting water pattern.  I'm always intrigued by the water patterns I see when I've uploaded my photos.  I don't really see them when I'm taking the photo because the water is shifting so fast...and, if I look at it too long I get dizzy and fall in!  Not a bad thing to do in the summer (well, a little embarrassing), but you definitely don't want to fall in any lake up here during the winter.  Right now, the water temperature of Lake Arrowhead is 39 degrees Fahrenheit.  Brrrrr!

5 comments:

  1. How lovely that you have such colourful visitors,to come & see you, they will certainly brighten up your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Victoria - He is gorgeous. At first when I saw him I thought he can't be real. We don't have any ducks here that are that color. Thank you for capturing such a lovely bird. Also glad you didn't fall in! (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously Victoria, you have the most incredible creatures in your world!
    When I look at the photos of the wild visitors to the right of your blog, I am amazed - and envious - of these gorgeous beings. My breath would be constantly taken away.
    And, this beautiful boy is no exception! What a stunner! That perfectly rusty-red head set off by the silver-grey and charcoal. And his eyes are hypnotising. Mother Nature is an artist.

    There is something incredibly mesmerising about staring into deep water. It pulls at the subconscious - like looking into a crystal ball. Still or moving, like the water in your photo, there is magic within.
    Thank you for sharing.
    Blow a kiss to Mrs Rose when you see her next :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm grateful for them, Barbara.

    Debbie, the first time I saw one of these ducks I thought there was something wrong with their eyes, like an infection or something. :D

    Oh, Vicki, you have amazing creatures in your world, too; kangaroos, koala bears and I'm sure there are many more. Even though I see these animals fairly regularly, the experience never fails to fill me with gratitude and awe...and a little "oh boy, I hope they're not hungry" if it's a bear or mountain lion!

    Vicki L, the next time I see him (or one of his kin) I'll pass along your message.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails