Monday, December 7, 2009

Wonderful Weather


This is what it was doing all day here.  60 mph wind gusts and heavy snow.  According to the weather forecast, it's supposed to continue for the next six days!  Whoo hoooooooo! We need it desperately. I didn't get much Christmas decorating done today because I was kept busy trudging from feeder to feeder. The birds and animals seem to have bottomless pits for tummies during the first really big storm of the season.
I'm sorry this picture is so blurry. I didn't want to take my camera out from underneath the shelter of the porch because this snow is so wet and heavy. I just couldn't get it to focus through the screen on the porch. I have a Canon DSLR but it's heavy and sometimes my hands just won't co-operate so I have to use my Canon digital. Anyway, the bird down on the baffle is a Wilson's Warbler and the two birds up on the feeder ledge are Purple Finches. I don't know why they call them 'purple' because they've always looked more red to me. Well, the males do. The females are various shades of buff and brown. Maybe the person who named them was a bit color blind. Gosh...I hope it's not me, given what I do for a living!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, purple finches look red to me too. The first one I ever saw, I was convinced it was a sparrow that had tangled with some red paint and I was trying to figure out how to catch it and clean it.

    Then I checked my bird book . . .

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, then I'm not color-blind! That's too funny about your first encounter with a purple finch :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails