Saturday, January 27, 2018

Skunky Neighbors

These photos are from last summer.  Skunks have been faithful visitors here since I bought this house in the 1970's.

They're very sweet and docile creatures.  I've never been sprayed, no matter how close they get to me.
I've even been fortunate enough to be able to pet them a couple of times. (Sorry about the blurry photo).  The first time, waaaay back when I first bought this house, I had stepped out on my porch to put out some cat food and saw what I thought was a black and white stray cat.  (I didn't have my glasses on).  I bent down to pet it and, just as I got my hand on it's back, I realized it was a skunk!  I stepped away slowly, thinking for sure I would get sprayed, but it didn't even seem like it was afraid of me at all. 
I've found that if you move slowly and speak softly, the skunks won't fear you.  It's also key to pay attention to the signals they give you; if they're looking right at you and stamping their front feet, it's best to back away slowly and say nothing. 
I love them, and am always happy to see them.

To see more wonderful creatures click here. 

5 comments:

  1. This is a sweet post as I like skunks too though I've never petted them. When I am lucky enough to see them on my walk in the park I just stop and watch them pass by. They look so cute. Porcupines too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have never viewed skunks in this way, how sweet that you do. we have skunks here all the time and they often spray the house and the odor is so strong indoors. almost always in spring, when i would like to open the windows and all i smell is skunk.

    you captured their cute side!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, what a story about the cat/skunk. I am not sure if I would want to pet one. I think we have skunks around here but I never see them only smell them, lol. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy you day and new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Victoria, how sweet he is! Seriously though, I can't believe how calm they are around you. You sound like me when I am without my glasses. I would have thought it was a cat also. How funny.
    My dog was sprayed once in the backyard. I believe he startled him. I don't know if I would have the courage to be this close.
    Thank you for sharing this sweet post. I really enjoyed!
    fondly,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh Victoria - what great pics. Wish our dogs could learn your tactics - unfortunately they don't step back in time :)! Have a super day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment, I appreciate it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails